Monday, March 11, 2019

A Super Hiro for Multi-course Tasting Menus in Vancouver

The same person that will blow a wad of cash on several small plates at a hipster restaurant will turn around and say that a tasting menu of the same number of dishes at a Japanese restaurant and same or even less cost is just too expensive.  This $65 omakase was good value for me. 

The food here is exquisite in flavour and composition, and I found it to be almost a therapeutic exercise in appreciating the purposeful design of each of the dishes.  The service was really amazing as well, and I loved chatting with the two women and the chef who came out often on this quiet stormy night.

I believe in your super powers, Hiro. Please continue your good work.

See below for my photos. Unfortunately, it's a bit fuzzy in my memory and I can't remember which fish was in each dish, but it was all wonderful in taste and texture. I'll go again soon.  

Potato Salad (which is very popular in Japan and in Korea)

Sashimi Course

Fish Close-up

The omakase included so many types of fish that I had never had.

Brie is melted on this fish dish.




The restaurant was empty on this stormy night with extreme winds.

These pieces of fried fish were served with a delicious broth, and the servers said that it could be poured in, or dipped in on the side or whatever I wanted. I tried both, and then I drank the rest of it. It was served in a beautiful mug with a handle after all, and I wouldn't have wanted it to go to waste.

The nigiri sushi was amazing and was topped delicately with other flavours as you can see. 
One of these was compliments of the chef.

Even the pickled ginger on the side was a bit different with some herb mixed in with it. 

Green tea mousse or something like that. Vanilla ice cream, berry sauce. 




No comments: