Sunday, July 09, 2006

Gotta Love the West End!


West End Farmer's Market, Comox St. at Thurlow

Of course the West End farmer's market would have a Shiatsu booth! I happened upon the market, on my way to Granville Island (by way of the little ferries that leave from the Aquatic Centre) on a bright, beautiful Canada Day.


Toast Booth (The Cake Studio)

The booth that most tempted me as I perused the offerings that day was Toast, with their incredibly pretty pastries. I was even willing to forego my usual Granville Island treat, an almond croissant from La Baguette et l'Echalote, to try one of these beauties. By the way, this also sounds like a nice place to pick up a loaf of bread. It was a busy day and by mid-afternoon when I was there, they had already run out, so I'm suspecting that they make some nice bread. Susie Lee, the Cake Artist and Pastry Chef, has a specialty cake business called The Cake Studio.


Lemon Raspberry Cake from Toast Posted by Picasa

I took with me one of their little lemon raspberry cakes, and it was so moist and lemony and wonderful. Delicioius, right down to the tiny blob of sweet pastry cream that anchors the candy lemon slice garnish. A bundle of pleasure for only $1.50.

I sampled a bit of cheese jerky at one of the cheese booths too. It was actually pretty good!

Farmer's Market season is a great part of summer that I really haven't taken advantage of fully in the past. Check out the West End version at Nelson Park, Comox Street between Bute and Thurlow. 9:00 am to 2:00 pm Saturdays from June 17 to October 7, 2006.

No comments: