Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Straight and Marrow on Powell St.: The Whole Package in Vancouver!










I can't remember the last time I've been this excited about a non-Asian restaurant in Vancouver (although it kinda is somewhat Asian because of the chef, some influences on the dishes, and the comfort level of serving and with working with offal). It was the whole package for me - tasty, creative/interesting, satisfying food, take-you-on-a-journey cocktails (taste-wise so much happening, but also love geeking out on drink techniques, ingredients, and history. Plus, you can just trust that you're going to get a well-balanced drink which honestly is not always the case in town), stellar service, comfortable vibe.  They've only been open for a few months, too.  

Here are some icing on the cake thoughts: I might suggest trying some candles on the tables to show off the plated food better or tiny overhead warm lighting (in a fantasy world, I'd add a fireplace) which might also add to a cosy feeling in the room.  Maybe a very tiny comp bar snack (couple of olives or popcorn/chips/nuts kind of thing) or an amuse bouche?  An occasional option of a tasting menu paired with a variety of tasting size cocktails/sake/wine would be killer.  I know it's a casual vibe kind of place, but I always appreciate when someone's thought about pairings for me and a tasting menu sometimes means getting to try more dishes.  Enjoyed everything, but the texture of the gnocchi (rabbit gnocchi dish), the creamy garlic purée in the sweetbread dish,  the cheek stew in Tongue in Cheek (but not the tongue as much), and the complexity of the Fat Panda and Turboso Flip cocktails were standouts.  

Every dish on their food menu sounds intriguing which is also relatively rare in town in my opinion.  I love seeing a creative menu. I felt like it was fairly priced too.  It's almost like a little izakaya with extra French and western influence instead of Japanese. I know they'll do well (but still hoping to be able to get a table or spot at the bar at the last minute).

No comments: