Saturday, March 26, 2005

Wolf and Hound, on Broadway near Alma

The Wolf and Hound is warm and friendly! This is the kind of place I wish was two blocks away from my home, so that I could make it my neighbourhood watering hole. There were two guys with guitars in the corner doing a great job of covers that night (I loved their "folkified" Purple Rain!), lots of couches and padded benches, cleanliness, low ceilings, all creating a great inviting pub atmosphere for me. Also, a beer list, a nice plate of nachos, and a list of specialty coffees made me happy. I went on a Thursday night, and it was perfectly full - enough people to create a good vibe, but not too many that anyone couldn't get a nice table right away. The crowd was pleasantly mixed (I like it when there's other old people around), though there were plenty of the UBC student types that I was expecting. There's even a resident dog that briefly walked through. Note that this recommendation is coming from someone who doesn't go to pubs in Vancouver very often, and I rarely like them as much as I liked this one. I do love the idea of pubs, and used to live in a town where the bars and pubs were a huge part of the culture, and there were plenty of fun places to sit and have a beer and a good conversation. I know, saying this will probably unleash a wild pack of barking pub-recommending comments. Tell me your favourite Vancouver pubs. Oh, that reminds me, my Dad said that he heard there was going to be a dog restaurant opening up locally. I assume he meant a restaurant that you can bring your dog, and the dog gets served too (not where they, um, SERVE dog). Anyone know more?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dog that wanders through is a Bernese Mountain Dog called 'Hendrix'.
He is the sweetest dog on the face of the earth...
The "Black Plague" is a fine beer, I
suggest if you like dark beer to check it out.
The W&H is my favourite pub in Canada, the staff are friendly, the manager is helpful and the food isn't bad either.
For these reasons I am there just about every evening.

Anonymous said...

Yup, it's a special place...great live music 7 nights a week (no cover) A word-of-mouth joint (like attracts like) Neighbourhood regulars, university profs and students, and delightful eccentrics. We're there seven nights a week.....